Wednesday, July 29, 2009

:: human are less than dolphin when it come to music ::


“When was the last time you just close your eyes and really listen to the music?” Jeremy Clarkson once wrote in his Sunday column. Now-a-day, it doesn’t matter if we are driving boring commute, or busy cranking at the office, we have can access to our music collection in many ways at anytime. Subconsciously, our favorite tunes have become background music for the task on hands.

In the past, music used to be luxury, you either know how to play it yourself, or you go to see someone play at a venue. As soon as the first recording machine created, music could than be reproduced; live music event become something for occasion.

In daily bases, music has becomes ambient noise; it is no longer pleasurable. Dolphin might be the only mammal that pleasure for sex; very soon, the only living organisms that will enjoy music are our household pets. Because while we are busy browsing the web, doing dishes, our pets just lay back and chill along the tunes we put on.

That was why I had decided to spend 2 hours on this lovely summer afternoon to take my time and enjoy some of my favorite tracks over all these years. It took an hour to compose a track list of eighteen, with most of the track being 320 kilobits per second, burnt them on a high-sensitive “red coated” CD-R at 4x write speed.

Afterward, I migrated to my living room where my Yamaha digital receiver, and Pioneer analogue amp, resides along with its 5.1 surround sound speakers. Dropped my freshly brewed demo disc onto a disc player tray that it was connected via optical cable to the amp unit.

The disc started playing and I spent the last few moment to switch the Yamaha to the SCH Stereo profile; beyond this point, all I did was to relax on a dark brown leather couch with eyes lightly shut, and let the rhythmic sound flood the dwelling. No iPhone,, no MacPro space heater, no exhilarating exhaust G35 node, just music and music only.

I did not even sing along like my usual self-driving within the isolated confine; every spectrum, every detail, of the audio track came to fruition. Like a well-engineered automobile, it communicated with you. It told you every bump on the road; it warned you as the tire begin to lose traction.

A song, at its purist listening pleasure, does exactly that. With eyes closed, you pick up notes once never aware; the variation of instruments separate, collide, and layer on top of each other; vocal unfolds like silk slipping from bare skin.

Of course, I cannot afford to just sit and listen to music all day, I have other mission I must accomplish; like this blog. But I can tell you, I never listening to music when I write, mainly because I find it distracting to listen to another voice while I am jogging my own down, more importantly, I am saving the pleasure of music for an occasion that is plain monotonous, calm and task-free, a moment when music deserve its audience.

No comments: