Tuesday, July 15, 2008

:: mobile revoluzione ::


It is far from the one-week checkpoint of the post iPhone 3G launch, and I simply cannot stop playing with the most amazing gadget I have ever purchased (yes, more amazing than my macBook Pro, more amazing than my receiver, and even more amazing than my PS3 and PSP combined!)
Meanwhile, I am trying to find someone somewhere to buy my old phone; this also gives me sometime to reflect on my mobile phone possession journey. Let see, I went all the way back owning a Nokia 6110, the phone that I wanted so bad because they used to use one similar in the X-File (yeah, that was a while back, huh?) Sony and Ericson merged into, guess what, Sony Ericson, thus I got a little semi flip TZ-3? If I remembered the model correctly. After that, I moved to the US of A, so I got myself into a Samsung SGH-S307. Boy, that was a small phone, small enough that I washed it in my pocket at my friend’s washing machine… (yeah, I was drunk, okay? at the night of my 21st birthday as a matter of fact).
Then, the inevitable happened. Like all the cool kids, I bid a V3 RAZA off e-bay. My first camera phone, deadly thin, comfortable in the pocket. And it was really cool to have one, because it was a phone that everybody dying to have one. Even Jeremy Clarkson had to show his off during a Top Gear episode. But since the demand was so high, within a year, the phone became virtually free under contract at Cingula, then followed by many other carriers. So, now the sub-zero cool phone has become an object that everybody own.
With the RAZA scenery rendered in absolute un-coolness, I realized I had to swap out my phone for something special, something smart. Oh, that was easy, Smartphone! I made my purchase during my Hong Kong trip last year. It was a O2 atom xda, featuring a 433 MHz process, 16MB on board RAM and accept a maximum of 2GB miniSD, fully touch screen, 3G enable, and Windows Mobile! I really should have spot the problem piror to my purchase – “Windows”, the universal meaning of POS; but the “Mobile” fooled me. Of course it can play MP3, of course if has the Internet Explorer, and of course I can view PowerPoint, but what’s the point when any operation on the device basically takes a week to execute. And when I try to play video while I have WiFi turn on, the phone will just give up and eventually reboot.
It was very frustrating, turtle cruising speed and microscopic on screen keypad. I was dying to switch to an iPhone. I looked on craigslist, but every time when there was a great deal, it is always too far and when I managed to plan for a trip, it would have been sold.
But the wait was finally over as the iPhone 3G was announced early in June. My god, it one very exciting and desperate month until the launch day.
So, now, I am finally very happy, overwhelming delightful and excessively multi-touching the new jewel of the mobile phone business. It is of course, not the perfect phone yet. I do misses the self-portrait mirror and flash from my old O2, and the lack of A2DP the biggest let down for the iPhone 3G.
However, more intriguing to me is, “how long does it take for the iPhone to become a RAZA?” Us iPhone owners are still cool today because we are in an exclusive and prestigious club, but one day, the most amazing gadget will become the cheapest (price wise) merchandise one can own with the minimum wages in the United States society. The iPhone would then become a RAZA, everybody is rich, everybody Paris Hilton, and the iPhone would become the slut of gadget for mans.

No comments: