Sunday, July 20, 2008

live iPhone, LIVE!!!


It has been slightly more than a week since I have my iPhone 3G, (9 days to be exact) and today is the first day that I am using it lightly.
For the past eight days, I had been browsing the web very often on my iPhone, sometime even I am only 20 steps away from my macPro which was connected via a 3MB land line, but it was just cooler to use my iPhone on the sofa (yes, it is ALSO cooler than getting my macBook Pro and used the WiFi). I watch shows on my iPhone while I was doing cardio or listen to music during weight lifting at the gym every other day for an hour and half for each session. In addition, everybody seems to call me more often after I had an iPhone, so I would encounter about 2 hours of talk time between each full charge. So minus the time that I actually spend at the gym, eat, sleep, and working on my publication, I would spend about the rest of my time playing with iPhone apps, talking on AIM on my iPhone or shopping via my iPhone.
At a consistence pace, I managed to discharged a fully feed iPhone 3G in a 14 hour cycle. And we all know Mr. iPhone can do better than that, so I began digging in my setting. Since I am staying at a region without 3G coverage for the summer, I decided to turn off the 3G features. And boy, immediately, the battery went on to its stress-free vacation. I had fully charged my iPhone this morning; then I was on a conversation for 20 minutes about the German Gran Prix with my friend (with 3G off), the battery icon did not even move after the converse was over.
However, I did not turn off my WiFi, nor setting my apps data update into longer interval, but for users who does not require constant breath taking e-mail update to get through their day, they can modify those setting to accommodate a better battery solution. But seriously, an issue that will drain battery as fast as the 3G chip, if not faster, is the brilliantly vivid screen. So, if you are just listening to music, turn your screen OFF, the music will still play, and it save a hell lots of juice.
So, I have live through most of my day already, and it is now almost 12 hours since I unplug my iPhone from the charger, the battery icon is still showing I have about 85% of power on a day with light usage.
In the end, I think the iPhone can last me on a full 24 hour life cycle (I do stay awake for at least 19 hour on most of my day during school season…) in a single charge when I am distracted with my work. But to conclude this blog with a tip to myself and you, never EVER let the iPhone charger gone out of sight, because it is a hungry little fellow, and we can never want enough out of it.

No comments: